America SCORES Denver is a unique, comprehensive, youth development program which uses the tools of soccer, writing, creative expression, and service learning to empower urban youth. With teamwork as the unifying value, America SCORES Denver inspires youth to lead healthy lifestyles, be engaged students, and become agents of change in their community. Currently our program is in place in nine elementary schools in west Denver serving nearly 300 students.
- The schools we serve rank in the lowest tier in terms of proficiency in reading and writing. More than 30% of children entering fourth grade read and write below grade level.
- The west Denver neighborhoods America SCORES Denver serve all report at least 80% of the children qualify for free lunch—eight of our schools have over 90% qualifying for free meals.
- 1 out of every 7 children nationwide is obese and 1 in 3 is overweight. If current trends continue, The Colorado Health Foundation reports that by 2020 47% of Coloradans will be overweight and 29% will be obese; only 24% will be at a healthy weight.
- Nationally, the juvenile crime rate triples between the hours of 3PM and 8PM, with violent crimes by juveniles peaking between 3PM and 4PM – the hour at the end of the school day.
America SCORES is a Solution:
- Our tools of soccer, creative writing, and service-learning inspire and engage kids.
- The social camaraderie, teamwork, and leadership skills learned on the soccer field translates to the classroom, increasing student engagement.
- Public school teachers, as community stakeholders, are hired and trained to be SCORES soccer and writing coaches.
- Our SCORES teams commit every other day after-school, when they are not at soccer practice, to literacy and service-learning workshops.
- Through their service projects, SCORES teams bring key players from the community together to benefit Denver schools and neighborhoods.
For more information, please visit: